Journal of events in my life

Journal of events in my life

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Can’t I be a considerate driver in India?

After my return from US, I was keen on following the basic disciplines of driving I learned in the US. I wanted to strictly ensure that I maintain a safe distance between two cars, maintain lane discipline, obey the traffic lights, yield to the driver who come first, and above all give priority to pedestrians. However my enthusiasm to be a good guy did not last longer than a week. The reasons are well known to Indian drivers.

Safe Distance: If you maintain safe distance, there will be 3 cars or 6 autos or 50 bikes occupying the ‘safe’ distance.

Lane Discipline: It is just not possible to stay in lane because the only space available for you to drive your vehicle will be between lanes. Slow moving vehicles occupy left, right, center lanes or union of these lanes. For instance there is a well laid three lane road between Madhya Kailas junction and Tidel Park. It would have been ideal if these lanes are marked separately for two wheelers, cars and heavy vehicles as it is done in Mount Road. Or at least lanes designated according to speed limits. But, that does not anyway give an assurance that the lane discipline will be followed.

Obey traffic lights: If you want to obey the traffic lights, you are sure to have a nightmare. I slowly pressed on my brakes on the turn of amber light and came to a halt. I was appreciated for my disciple only by a car that was behind me passing my car even after turn of red and almost slamming the side mirrors.

Yield to pedestrians: If you do this, you will only realize that India is one of the most populated country and they are every where on the roads. Your vehicle will not move an inch.

When Saint Vishwamitra could not continue his penance, I being an ordinary human, could neither stop myself from going back to my old style of Indian driving. Start late from home but try to reach office by time. Press the gas petal as hard as possible when the road is free (which you hardly get a chance). Do not leave any space between my car and the car ahead of me. When the traffic is heavy or even otherwise, try to squeeze in ‘Auto’s gap’ (cycle gap if I am on two wheeler). When I approach the traffic lights, if I notice the light turn from green to amber, lower the gear and hard press the pedal to rush pass the lights. No courtesy on the pedestrians when I have free way to go, no courtesy on slow moving vehicle; honk at them and force them to leave way or pass them with just few inch of gap. I am just going by the rule “Be an Indian when you are in India”.

What does this mean?. Can’t I be a considerate driver?. Do I stand to be a loser when I try to be a good driver?. Will this style of driving be the same howsoever India develops (rather grow)?.

Who is to be blamed?. Myself, other drivers, pedestrians, enforcement authorities?

5 comments:

Arun Sundar said...

Try to remain a disciplined driver wherever u can. I know it is difficult, but dont try to change completely and become an Indian driver so soon. Driving would never change in Indian roads otherwise. It is people like you and me, who should bring about the change. Kabali always says it right, would'nt he?

Anonymous said...

Hi Venky,
Nice to see your blog taking shape. Good you have started writing.
Hoping to see many more of your articles in the days to come.
All the best!!
Venkat

Anonymous said...

Venky,

neengalum eppadi aayiteengale

- Vijai

Venkatesvaran Pandiyan said...

Vijai, When are you joining the club?

Anonymous said...

The plight of Indian roads and the traffic is terrible. no authorities can clean up this mess. i think it is best to cope up with it rather than moan about it..

venkat, u can be justified in the sense that there is no way for you other than to change yourself..

The point i noticed about Indian roads is that no one cares about anything. none cares a damn about the traffic lights. In fact, the only thing the people see in a traffic signal, are not the lights, but whether the policeman is around..

So Dear venkat, it really is not in our hands. But play safe. and its good as long as you don't run into accidents.